Ras Kutani Camp
Ras Kutani Camp
Ras Kutani Camp is located a mere 25 km south of Dar es Salaam. It rests between the deserted shores of the Indian Ocean and the quiet inlets of a freshwater lagoon, creating an idyllic barefoot hideaway. It can be reached either by private charter flight (10 min flying time from Dar es Salaam) or by road (90 min driving time from Dar es Salaam)
The camp is constructed from local, sustainable, natural materials and the accommodation blends seamlessly into Ras Kutani’s natural surround, offering al fresco luxury living with a Swahili twist.
Ras Kutani Camp offers nine beach cottages, scattered on either side of the main building, all with generous en-suite bathrooms, mosquito nets, ocean views, a spacious veranda and hammocks. An additional four secluded suites are perched on the hillside and offer definitive privacy. Here the only company one encounters are the chattering monkeys. Special mention must be made of the suite’s extra large Sultan double beds as well as the private plunge pools.
The main emphasis at Ras Kutani Camp is pure relaxation making this the perfect way to end an adventurous safari circuit.
Unlike other Tanzanian resorts the beaches at Ras Kutani Camp are deserted and it stretches out to open water and is not affected by the shallow reef tides of other areas. With the added benefit of weak currents, Ras Kutani’s beach makes for great swimming at all times. The water temperatures are pleasant at all times of the year. The marine equipment including kayaks, masks, snorkels, fins and boogie boards are complimentary and subject to availability. Please bear in mind that the sea here is open water , i.e. not protected by a reef and therefore snorkelling conditions need to be assessed on a daily basis. The forest walk is self-guided, with guests picking up a map and list of trees from the reception. Village walks are pre-arranged and require a guide from the staff (prior arrangement with management upon arrival recommended). Turtle hatching, an activity that is organised in conjunction with Sea Sense, a Non Government Organisation (NGO) that works closely with coastal communities in Tanzania to conserve and protect endangered marine species, may be observed seasonally each year. Bookings for the spa are made on site and are subject to availability and paid on the final bill.
Ras Kutani Camp: Quick Facts
- 9 Beach Cottages with en suite bathrooms, fans, hammocks
- 4 Suites with en-suite bathrooms, private plunge pool, fan, oversized Sultan double bed
- Pool in the Main Camp
- Spa (additional cost)
- Activities include kayak, snorkelling, swimming, forest walks, turtle hatching (seasonal), observing the migration of the humpback whales (seasonal), village walks accompanied by a staff member (need to be pre-arranged on arrival)
- Wifi available around the pool area (limited to basic use only)
- Access via charter flight from Dar es Salaam (approximately 10 min flying time) or by road (approximately 90min driving time)
- Ras Kutani Camp is closed during the rainy season in April and May