Secluded Matemwe Beach on the northeastern coast of the island is perfectly situated opposite the spectacular diving and snorkelling reefs of the Mnemba Atoll and surrounded by some of the best beaches in Zanzibar.
The four villas of Matemwe Retreat are situated slightly north of the main Matemwe Lodge in an elevated position in the palm trees that allows uninterrupted views of the Indian Ocean and nearby Mnemba Island. Wooden walkways give access to the main lodge should you wish to use any of the facilities or dine in the open-air restaurant on a mouthwatering feast of local seafood, bought daily from the fishermen.
A 30-minute boat ride away is Mnemba Island and the world-renowned coral reef that provides some of the most spectacular diving and snorkeling in the world. Here you have a good chance of seeing turtles and wild dolphins, in addition to the colourful reef fish that dart around the coral.
Stone Town is just 60 minutes from the villas, allowing for easy day trips into the winding streets of the historic town, and excursions to all corners of this fascinating island.
Echoing the white sand beaches and the changing turquoise hues of the tropical waters, the fully air-conditioned Matemwe Retreat villas are a reflection of their tranquil island surroundings, filled with locally produced materials and furnishings.
The ground floor of each villa features a private bar area, cool and airy double bedroom with king-sized bed and en-suite bathroom with double basins, shower and a sunken bathtub with impressive views of the sparkling ocean.
Outdoors, impressively comfortable and very private lounge areas invite you to make the most of the tropical climate.The rooftop deck with sparkling blue plunge pool offers panoramic Indian Ocean views.
Matemwe Retreat: Quick Facts:
- All Inclusive (meals and local drinks)
- 4 villas, each with 1 double bedroom
- No twins or triples available
- Butler service
- Private plunge pool
- Personal bar
- Air conditioning in the bedroom
- Massage & spa treatments available
- Not suitable for disabled guests
- In-room lockable box
- Hair dryer
- Laundry service
- Power: 240V mains
- Closest Airstrip is Zanzibar Airport: approximately 75 minutes
- Activities: Reef walk, Village visit, Diving, Snorkeling, Dhow trips, Stone Town visit, Spice tour
- Closed 3 April to 31 May
- Child Policy: Regrettably, children under 18 are not permitted at Matemwe Retreat, but are welcomed at the Matemwe Lodge and Matemwe Beach House.